Why the PortLand Malt Shoppe? The historic neighborhood where we are located used to be called Portland. However, the village postmaster became frustrated when he received mail from several other Portland cities. His protests were voiced to the village officials. The officials conferred with their neighboring village, Duluth. It was decided to merge the two villages and become the city of Duluth. Duluth is the most inland port in the United States.
1921, our building was built as a gas station for Northwestern Oil Company. Harry and Edith
managed the gas station for many years. In the 1970's, the building was purchased for a small dress boutique called the Portland Village. Following tradition, when we purchased the building in 1989, it became the